Watch: CE + climate change

October 26th, 2021

Learn about the vital role of a circular economy in addressing climate change.

Event Description

Climate action has never been more urgent. With the latest science reinforcing the need to take immediate and drastic action to limit global temperature rise, pressure is mounting for governments to ramp up climate commitments as we head into COP26. The annual UN climate summit will bring over 190 world leaders to Glasgow this November to determine a plan of action for reaching the Paris Agreement goals set at COP21.  

Energy targets will be a key focus of the conference, but with research showing shifting to renewables can only address 55 per cent of global greenhouse gas emissions circularity must also be part of the global climate change discussion. It is only by transitioning the global economy that we might tackle the remaining 45 per cent of GHGs generated by industry, agriculture and land use.  

Analysis shows that even if all national climate pledges are fulfilled, warming is still predicted to hit 3.2 degrees this century. The latest Circularity Gap Report found that a circular economy could cut greenhouse gas emissions by 39 per cent and limit global temperature rise to below 2 degrees.  

In this panel discussion, you will hear from the experts fighting to get circular principles on the agenda in the climate change debate. The discussion covers the latest circular economy and climate research, key drivers of change for governments and hopes for this year's COP26 conference. The panellists are

Watch the session:

More on the speakers:  

Jelmer Hoogzaad, Founder of Shifting Paradigms  

Jelmer is a climate change mitigation and circular economy expert. He is a co-author of the annual Global Circularity Gap Report and has conducted metabolic analysis for the governments of Lao PDR, Vanuatu, The Gambia, the Dutch province of North Holland, the city of Almaty in Kazakhstan and the private sector. Jelmer's systems or metabolic analysis — supported with detailed data visualisations — places a company or jurisdiction in a broader system of material flows and stocks. Thereby allowing decision-makers to develop a joint vision of a circular, low-carbon economy and define their own role in the transition towards that future.   

Lisa McLean, NSW Circular  

Lisa is a circular economy and zero-carbon business transformation leader. She has been successfully advising industry and governments in developing new policy frameworks and regulations that bring about market change to enable the circular zero-carbon economy over the past 14 years. This work has covered the energy, water, waste and mobility sectors in the UK and Australia. Lisa is the CEO of NSW Circular, a government-funded circular economy innovation body leading the transition to a zero-carbon circular economy in NSW and Australia.  

Professor Thomas Wiedmann, UNSW   

Thomas Wiedmann is a Professor of Sustainability Research leading the Sustainability Assessment Program at UNSW, Sydney. Thomas has long-standing expertise in integrated, quantitative sustainability assessment, industrial ecology and environmental footprint analysis. His recent research is focusing on the relationship between sustainability transformations and planetary boundaries. Thomas is also an Adjunct Science Leader at CSIRO and a Lead Author of the Sixth Assessment Report of the IPCC. In 2012, he received the Thomson Reuters Citation Award in Australia and has been listed as Highly Cited Researcher annually since 2015.  

Register at the link below to secure your ticket and be part of the conversation. 

For the latest circular economy news and to be the first to hear about upcoming events, subscribe to the ACE Hub newsletter

This program has been made possible thanks to grant funding from the Australian Government and our valued sponsors BINGO IndustriesKeepCup and Planet Ark Power

Funding Partner

Associate Sponsors

Supporting Sponsor